Students who would like to submit an application or Professors who would like to submit student recommendations need to sign-in.
If you do not have an account you can register from this Appllication page by clicking Sign-In.
The 2017 Scholarship Period is CLOSED.
The American Wine Society Educational Foundation (AWSEF) annually awards academic scholarships to support students pursuing an academic program in enology, viticulture, or health aspects of wine.
Eligibility (All requirements must be met)
Full time graduate student
who has completed at least one semester in a graduate program leading to an M.S., Ph.D., or equivalent in enology, viticulture, or health aspects of wine as stated above, and who expresses their intent to work in one of these areas upon completion of their graduate degree. Ph.D. candidates with an M.S. from another graduate program are eligible.
Applicants must be North American citizens or permanent residents
(U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, and West Indies Islands) citizens or permanent residents, who are already enrolled for their degree in a North American institution of higher learning.
Two scholarship limit
Previous AWSEF scholarship recipients may apply a second time in open competition with new applicants.
March 31 deadline
It is important to fill out the application form fully, and make sure your application, transcripts and all professor recommendations are completed and submitted online by the March 31 deadline.
Instructions on Submitting Web Based Applications
The application is a 3-step process involving a student application form, most recent academic transcripts (MS or Doctoral only, no undergraduate transcripts required UNLESS YOU ARE A FIRST YEAR MS STUDENT), and 3 letters of recommendation.
Here are the steps (NOTE: IT’S CRITICAL THAT ALL OF THESE STEPS BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY TO ENSURE PROPER RECEIPT OF ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS BY THE AWSEF SCHOLARSHIP SELECTION COMMITTEE):
- STUDENTS: Log onto the AWSEF website (www.awsef.org), go to the Application tab, and click “Register” to create an account – if you applied last year, your account information has not changed. Registration requires a username and a password. Students will find an online form to be completed with easy instructions as to how to submit the application. Notification emails will be provided to students once their applications have been received.
- RECOMMENDERS: Log onto the AWSEF website to create an account or use the same log on information as last year (see above student directions). You will need to have the student’s email address to submit each recommendation (the same email address that the student used to create their account, please get this from the student before creating an account). Once the account is created, recommenders will find an online recommendation form, with submission instructions, that is to be used for the students they have been asked to support. Notification emails will be provided to recommenders that their material has been received.
- TRANSCRIPTS: Each student must arrange with his or her Registrar’s Office (or other office that handles transcripts) to have the appropriate official academic transcripts sent directly to the student such that the student uses his/her log in information and uploads the documents directly to the AWSEF via the AWSEF website. This means that the student has to receive their transcripts (either a soft copy via email or a hard copy that they scan in) from the institution in order to complete this step.
- Download the Full Application Instructions
If you have any questions on these procedures please contact AWSEF Vice President of Scholarships, Kristen Lindelow, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
* The AWSEF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or gender.
* The decision of the scholarship committee will be final.