Students who would like to submit an application or professors who would like to submit student recommendations need to sign-in.
If you do not have an account you can register from this Application page by clicking Sign-In.
If you receive a system error submitting an application, then please contact email@example.com . We apologize for any inconvenience for this known issue.
2021 Scholarship Applications
2021 Applications will open on January 1, 2021
The American Wine Society Educational Foundation (AWSEF) annually awards academic scholarships to support students pursuing an academic program in enology, viticulture, and concerning business or health aspects of wine.
Eligibility (All requirements must be met)
1. Full time graduate student
who has completed at least one semester in a graduate program leading to a M.S., Ph.D., or equivalent in enology, viticulture, business or health aspects of wine, as stated above, and who expresses their intent to work in one of these areas upon completion of their graduate degree. Ph.D. candidates with a M.S. from another graduate program are eligible.
2. must be North American citizen or permanent resident
(i.e., U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, and West Indies Islands, etc.) citizen or permanent resident, who is already enrolled for their degree in a North American institution of higher learning.
3. Two scholarship limit
Previous AWSEF scholarship recipients with updates to their ongoing research may apply a second time, and will be in open competition with new applicants.
4. March 31 deadline
It is important to fill out the application form fully, and make sure your application, transcripts, and all professor recommendations are completed and submitted online by the March 31 deadline.
Instructions on Submitting Applications
The application has three parts: a student application form, most recent academic transcripts (MS or Doctoral only, no undergraduate transcripts required UNLESS YOU ARE A FIRST YEAR MS or DOCTORAL STUDENT), and three letters of recommendation.
Here are the steps (NOTE: IT’S CRITICAL THAT ALL OF THESE STEPS BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY TO ENSURE PROPER RECEIPT OF ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS BY THE AWSEF SCHOLARSHIP SELECTION COMMITTEE):
- STUDENTS: Log onto the AWSEF website (www.awsef.org), go to the Application tab, and click “Register” to create an account – if you applied last year, your account information has not changed. Registration requires a username and a password. If you do not remember your username and/or password, contact Holly Tillis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students will find an online form to be completed with instructions as to how to submit the application. Notification emails will be sent to students once their applications have been received and upon completion of the application.
- RECOMMENDERS: Log onto the AWSEF website to create an account or use the same log on information as last year (see above student directions). You will need to have the student’s email address to submit each recommendation (the same email address that the student used to create their account, please get this from the student before creating an account). Once the account is created, recommenders will find an online recommendation form, with submission instructions, that is to be used for the students they have been asked to support. Notification emails will be provided to recommenders that their material has been received. Previous recommenders have found it very helpful to have typed their recommendation prior to logging onto the AWSEF website then simply copying it into the form.
- TRANSCRIPTS: Each student must arrange with his or her Registrar’s Office (or other office that handles transcripts) to have the appropriate official academic transcripts sent directly to the student such that the student uses his/her log in information and uploads the documents directly to the AWSEF via the AWSEF website. This means that the student has to receive their transcripts (either a soft copy via email or a hard copy that they scan in) from the institution in order to complete this step.
- Download the Full Application Instructions
If you have any questions on these procedures please contact AWSEF Vice President of Scholarships, Holly Tillis, at email@example.com for further assistance.
* The AWSEF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or gender.
* The decision of the scholarship committee will be final.